York Sport and the University of York acknowledges their responsibility to ensure that reasonable steps are taken to safeguard and promote the welfare of children, young people under 18 and vulnerable adults who access its activities or services and that relevant legislation and government guidance are complied with.
Regardless of an individual’s age, ability or disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation, socio-economic background, York Sport provide opportunity for both enjoyment and achievement through participation in sport and the use of facilities. York Sport promote good practice through abiding by codes of practice from the University of York, UK Coaching and other NGBs.
As part of our safeguarding policy York Sport will;
– Promote and prioritise the safety and wellbeing of children, young people and adults at risk.
– Ensure everyone understands their roles and responsibilities in respect of safeguarding.
– Encourage and maintain a culture where people feel able to raise a safeguarding concern and are confident it will be taken seriously.
– Ensure appropriate action is taken in the event of incidents/concerns and that support is provided where necessary.
– Ensure that confidential, detailed accurate records of all safeguarding concerns are maintained and securely stored.
– Prevent the employment of unsuitable individuals.
– Ensure robust safeguarding arrangements and procedures are in operation.
Any concerns can be raised with a York Sport member of staff who will then report to the appropriate person(s). Anyone who does not feel comfortable raising a concern directly with York Sport should contact the appropriate National Governing Body, the Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) or the NSPCC. Further details on whistle blowing can be found in York Sports Safeguarding Policy
York Sports safeguarding policy will be reviewed every 2 years, or sooner in the following circumstances;
– Changes in legislation and/or government guidance
– As required by the Local Safeguarding Children’s board or NGBs
– As a result of any other significant change or event
York Sports Safeguarding Policy can be viewed upon request through firstname.lastname@example.org