Our Tennis League is open to adults of all abilities aged 16+. It can be played indoors or outdoors throughout the year at York Sport Centre. The league runs for 48 weeks of the year, across four different seasons.
Each league is based around some fixed weekly pre-booked (and pre-paid) slots on the same day (e.g. Thursday League, Sunday 4pm League). Competitors will be provided a list of matches and opponents to play against. and scores will be submitted on a weekly basis.
Typically each league consists of six players who play each other twice during a round (i.e. 10 games each). A round lasts 3-4 months.
The York Sport leagues rely on both regular and alternate players acting on communications promptly and reporting their results. Dedicated WhatsApp groups are used for day-to-day communication and Playwaze is used to record results.
Both Playwaze-hosted leagues and ladders are used as explained below.
Players are of two kinds (reflecting their ability to commit to a weekly booking slot):
1. Regulars – these players pay £40 in advance. There is no re-booking of slots or refunds if matches are not played. Only results between regular players are recorded in the relevant Playwaze League. Positions in the league at the end of a round are meaningful.
2. Alternates – a pool of “alternate” players step in to ensure no booking slot goes unused in the event of a regular player (or players) being able to make a fixture. The alternate player(s) then re-imburse the regular player(s) for the court fee (at £4 per player). Results for games involving one or more alternate players are recorded in the relevant ladder. The positions in the ladder at the end of a round are not meaningful – the ladder is just a handy device for recording results involving alternate players.
The League Includes:
– Full size tarmac tennis court (indoor floodlit courts or outdoor courts available).
– Changing facilities
– Discount rate on Tennis court bookings
– FREE onsite parking available (after 6pm, £1 per hour between 8am-6pm)
– VIP York Sport Village Pass for all members
The new leagues will commence on 13th January 2019. We require entries to be submitted and registration fees to be paid before 12pm on Friday 6th January. (Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to be considered for a late entry).