The York Sport Tennis League is based at York Sport Centre, and offers the chance for tennis players in North Yorkshire to meet and play against men and women of varying ages and standards. Matches can be played on both our indoor or outdoor courts throughout the year depending on the season. The league runs for 48 weeks of the year, across four different seasons and is open to adults of all abilities aged 16+.
The next league starts:
Registration closes soon
The Tennis Leagues take place at York Sport Centre (University of York) in Heslington West. The games are played in the Bubble in the winter months and on outdoor courts during the Summer with the opportunity to use the indoor courts in adverse weather conditions (subject to availability and only applies to months from June-August). The league usually consists of 6 to 10 players who play each other once or twice during a round (depending on the number of competitors). A round lasts 2-3 months.
The league runs for 48 weeks of the year, across four different seasons, in the following divisions:
It costs £4 per person per game. The total cost of the league is determined by the number of players, the system of play: play each other once or play each other twice which then results in total number of games to complete by the person.
Please only sign up if you have been asked to do so by a member of our tennis team, you can contact us on email@example.com
When you join the league you get:
• Access to our changing facilities.
• FREE onsite parking available after 6pm, £1 per hour between 8am-6pm.
• Discount rate on Tennis court bookings
• One VIP York Sport Village Pass.
LEAGUE INFORMATION & RULES
Players are of two kinds (reflecting their ability to commit to a weekly booking slot):
- Regulars – sign up to participate and pay in advance. There is no re-booking of slots or refunds if matches are not played. Only results between regular players are recorded in the relevant Playwaze League . Positions in the league at the end of a round are meaningful.
- Alternates – a pool of “alternate” players step in to ensure no booking slot goes unused in the event of a Regular Player (or players) being unable to make a fixture. This can only be possible in situation explained in the Rules point 2 below. The Alternate Player(s) then reimburse the Regular Player(s) for the court fee (at £4 per player). Results for games involving one or more Alternate Players are recorded in the relevant Playwaze Ladder by the players. The positions in the ladder at the end of a round are not meaningful – the ladder is just a handy device for recording results involving alternate players and is not a vehicle for challenges.
The Tennis Leagues rely on both Regular and Alternate Players acting on communications promptly and reporting their results.
A dedicated WhatsApp group is used for day-to-day communication and Playwaze platform is used to record results. Players are required to download both apps and use them purposefully and accordingly.
If you find sudden splurges of messages from time to time intrusive and/or you can’t respond pretty much instantly as needed then the York Sport Tennis League is not for you!
Fixtures will be generated at random and shared on Playwaze at the start of each season.
REGISTRATION, ENTRY AND FEES
- You need to sign up via online Wufoo form available from firstname.lastname@example.org or York-sport.com.
- Playwaze will be used to setup fixtures and to record the results.
- Players are expected to strictly follow the order and schedule of games. These can only be changed in special circumstances and must be communicated with the administrator who will then authorise the modification. The administrator will not be held responsible for helping find a cover for the cancelled match, nor for rescheduling the game, these will have to be carried out by the players themselves.
- Whats App group will be used to communicate results and to rearrange matches in case when the original games can not be played.
- Home players (i.e. the first-named in the fixture list) provide balls and report the result.
- As there is no mechanism that alerts other players of results entered into Playwaze please also report results to the relevant WhatsApp group at the same time as they are entered on Playwaze.
- If a League is short of players then new players may join at any time and play fixtures that have been missed at their own expense (the joining fee will be refunded pro rata).
- You may play in as many Leagues as you wish as long as this is not excluding other players.
MATCH PLAY RULES
- The Playwaze Leagues have been set up to award 3 points for a win, there is no draws as explained in point 3 below.
- Although Walkovers (of any sort) earn 0 points, this should never happen because:
- An Alternate Player (or players) should play the fixture which is then recorded in the appropriate Ladder.
- The original fixture will be reset to the last possible date and time in the round and the original players will play the game at a later date (but before the end of the round) having organised a court between themselves and at their own expense.
- If the game is still unable to be played before the end of the round then the circumstances will be reported to the administrator who will then decide what result should be recorded.
- If the result recorded under Clause 2c is critical to determining final placings in a round then sudden death play-offs (at the expense of the players concerned) may be used to determine final rankings.
- Matches will start as soon as both players are warmed up. The game should last for the duration of the court booking. If the match is tied, with 10 minutes or less remaining of court time, then proceed to a tiebreak (first to 10). If the tiebreak is not completed when the court time expires, and other players are waiting to use the court, then the player leading the tiebreak wins the match. If the tiebreak is drawn at that point then the next point wins.
- The prize for winning the league is a medal and an engraved plaque displayed on a tennis league winners board in the presentation cabinet (please allow min 1 month for this to be completed).
- There is no explicit promotion or demotion between Leagues though re-grouping of players so that they are more evenly matched may occur at any point for leagues on the same day.
Matches will be self-officiated with the players taking responsibility for controlling the game. The final decision or any disputes must be met as a mutual agreement between the two players and should be conducted in the spirit of fair play (only call a ball out if you are certain that it was out).
Any disputes or complaints in connection with a match need to be reported to the administrator within 24 hours. The administrator’s decision will be final.
Any disputes or complaints in connection with a match need to be received in writing within 3 days of the match, addressed to the sport development team at email@example.com.
After the last week of the games, we will officially announce the winner of the York Tennis League at the end of the season. The Winner will be awarded with the York Sport Tennis Plaque, Medal and a free tennis court pass (please allow min 4 weeks for the completion).
For more information or any problems through the league please contact York Sport Development team via email on firstname.lastname@example.org.
This information can be found on our website at: York Sport/Leagues/Tennis