York Sport Talks
Changing the Game – The Leadership Challenge
The seminar brings together, for the first time, three individuals, who in their own unique way have not only improved the performance of a number of organisations and teams, they fundamentally changed the game or industry in which they operated.
- Alistair Gray – leading European strategic management consultant and voluntary leader at a number of UK and European sports
- Sir Ian McGeechan OBE – former Scottish international rugby player and leading coach of the British Lions; also former Director of Rugby at Wasps and Scottish Rugby and currently journalist at the Daily Telegraph, Sunday Telegraph and expert panelist on TV
- Baroness Sue Campbell CBE (By Video) – Head of Women’s Football at The FA and former Chair of UK Sport and the Youth Sports Trust.
Alistair Gray published THE GAME CHANGER with Routledge earlier this year. It outlines how a number of organisations in business and sport have done more than raise their performance – hey have also changed the rules of the game in their industry. These organisations were all clients of Genesis, the consulting firm established by Alistair in 1992.
Throughout this book there are real examples of client projects that bring theory and process to life, with positive outcomes. Many of the clients secured significantly improved strategic outcomes and higher levels of performance from their people. They include:
- How he worked with the Board and Executive of The FA to deliver their first ever integrated strategy in 140 years in 2009, which included a commitment to improve performance on and off the field and included initiating the development of the National Performance Centre at St George’s Park.
- The football, rugby union and cricket associations of England, Scotland and Ireland developed new corporate and performance strategies as did the governing bodies of Rugby League, Cricket, Golf and British Swimming in the UK and Cricket Australia. He worked closely with Stewart Regan on the reform of Scottish football and with Ian McGeechan at Scottish Rugby and as fellow directors of the Scottish Institute of Sport.
- The ‘great game’ of England Netball transformed their performance as a sport and Alistair led the development of the Women’s Super League in football and netball in England.
- International sporting organisations such as the International Cricket Council, World Rugby, the R&A and the European Hockey Federation modernised their strategies, structures and systems.
He will present the game-changing principles outlined in the book as well as a number of case studies in business and sport. In addition he will provide a simple questionnaire that will enable guests to consider the current state of their organisation delivering a useful take-away from the session.
Get your ticket today!
A limited number of signed copies of The Game Changer will be available to purchase at the session or alternatively a 20% discount will be available to order directly from the publisher at www.routledge.com. Quote FLR40 at check-out for the discount to be applied. Alternatively it is available at Amazon.co.uk or other on-line booksellers.
Four Mums in a Boat 22/11/18
The Yorkshire Rows
Join us on the 22nd of November 2018, York sport are proud to host a talk with ‘Four Mums in a Boat.’ This free event will showcase the incredible true story of four ordinary working mums from Yorkshire who took on an extraordinary challenge!
This amazing event will include a showing of National Geographic’s award winning documentary “Four Mums in a boat.” You will also hear from two of the Mums who rowed across the Atlantic, set a Guinness World record, and still managed the school run in the Q&A after the film has finished.
This event is free for all, donations welcome to support York Mind and 50/50 Challenge
Where and when
This event will be held on the 22nd of November at 6:30pm at the Ron Cooke Hub which is located on the University campus east.
Register for your free tickets
Directions to the Ron Cooke Hub:
“So inspirational and a truly wonderful match for BrandFuel. I am definitely inspired by them, as well as deeply moved by their experience, and will be thinking deeply as to what my ocean is.”