Our York Sport Squash League takes place at the York Sport Centre and all matches are played in our newly refurbished indoor squash courts. The league offers the chance for squash players in North Yorkshire to meet and play against men and women of varying ages and standards. the Squash league is open to adults of all abilities aged 16+.
The York Sport Squash League runs throughout the year, and currently in one division: Intermediate, with views of introducing beginners and advanced level depending on demand. Competitors will use Playwaze app to view the list of fixtures and will communicate via WhatsApp to discuss arrangements for the matches. Scores will be submitted on a weekly basis. Squash Matches will be played on Thursday nights, between 7.20-8pm for a duration of 10 weeks.
The next league starts:
SEPTEMBER 5th 2019
Registration closes August 28th
There are limited places in the league; we are therefore encouraging people to sign up as soon as possible. We require entries to be submitted and payment made no later than Friday 30th August at 12pm. It costs £30 per person to participate in the league including the regular court hire.
Please read the league rules and format and complete the expression of interest form on our website.
When you join the league you get:
• Access to our changing facilities.
• Discount rate on squash court bookings.
• FREE onsite parking available after 6pm, £1 per hour between 8am-6pm.
• One VIP York Sport Village Pass.
League Information & Rules
Dedicated WhatsApp groups are used for day-to-day communication and Playwaze is used to record results. Players are required to download both platforms and use them purposefully and accordingly.
If you find sudden splurges of messages from time to time intrusive and/or you can’t respond pretty much instantly as needed then the Thursday Squash League is not for you!
Fixtures will be pulled at random and shared on the Playwaze at the start of the season.
Thursday League is currently the only one being run at York Sport but if there is demand for more another competition can be added to the schedule.
Registration, Entry and Fees
1. You need to sign up via online Wufoo form available from email@example.com or York-sport.com It costs £30 per person to participate in the league for the duration of one season.
2. The Season starts on 5th September and finishes on 7th November.
3. The courts are available to players as follows:
Courts 1 & 2 on Thursdays 7.20-8pm.
4. Playwaze will be used to setup fixtures and to record the results.
5. Players are expected to strictly follow the order and schedule of games. These can only be changed in special circumstances and must be communicated with the administrator who will then authorize the modification. The court time will not be refunded or exchanged to another date and time. The administrator will not be held responsible for helping find a cover for the cancelled match, nor for rescheduling the game, these will have to be carried out by the players themselves. If a fixture can’t take place it is worth using the slot by asking the player that is out that week to see if they would like to play or bring a friend (an alternative player). The un-played match will have to be rearranged at the player’s expense.
6. A WhatsApp group will be used to communicate results and to rearrange matches in case when the original games can’t be played.
7. Home players (the first-named in the fixture list) provide the balls and report the result.
8. As there is no mechanism that alerts other players of results entered into Playwaze please also report results to the relevant WhatsApp group at the same time as they are entered on Playwaze.
9. The court bookings lasts 40 miniutes
10. The Playwaze Leagues have been set up to award 3 points for a win and 1 point for a draw.
11. Although Walkovers (of any sort) earn 0 points, this should never happen because:
a. The original fixture will be reset to the last possible date and time (07th Nov 2019 19:40) in the round and the original players will play the game at a later date (but before the end of the round) having organised a court between themselves and at their own expense.
b. If the game is still unable to be played before the end of the round then the circumstances will be reported to the administrator who will then decide what result should be recorded.
c. If the result recorded under Clause 11c is critical to determining final placings in a round then sudden death play-offs (at the expense of the players concerned) may be used to determine final rankings.
12. Matches will start as soon as both players are warmed up. The game should last for the duration of the court booking. Players are to finish the point they are playing and ensure they are off the court on the hour of their booking. If the final game cannot be completed then only the earlier games are reported. There are no tie-breaks or deciding match points.
13. Matches will be self-officiated with the players taking responsibility for controlling the game. The final decision or any disputes must be met as a mutual agreement between the two players and should be conducted in the spirit of fair play.
14. Any disputes or complaints in connection with a match need to be reported to the administrator within 24 hours. The administrator’s decision will be final.
15. If a League is short of players then new players may join at any time and play fixtures that have been missed at their own expense (the joining fee will be refunded pro rata).
16. You may play in as many Leagues as you wish as long as this is not excluding other players.
17. The prize for winning the league is a medal and an engraved plaque displayed on a squash league winners board in the presentation cabinet (please allow min 1 month for this to be completed).
18. There is no explicit promotion or demotion between Leagues though re-grouping of players so that they are more evenly matched may occur at any point for leagues on the same day – this only applies when there are more levels of play.
19. It is asked of you to fulfill all scheduled fixtures.
Match Play Rules
The scoring of matches will follow basic squash rules, these can be found on the England Squash website. Matches will be best of 5 games to 9 points following traditional scoring rally. If the score is tied at 8-8, play the first to 10 points E.g. 10-8 or 10-9.
Matches will start after the knock up (a maximum of three minutes). The match is won when the first person reaches three games. In the event of an unfinished match the number of whole games won is recorded. I.e. 2-1
However in the event of a 3-0 win lasting only a few minutes please be courteous enough to play out the 40 minuets light time.
Points will be awarded for the following scores:
Game score Points 3-0 6 1 3-1 6 2 3-2 6 4 2-2 3 3 1-1 2 2
York Sport will not provide any equipment. Players must provide their own racquets and bring squash balls to each match. Squash rackets can be hired from York Sport reception at a charge of £1.00 and squash balls can be purchased at £3.50.
Results should be entered onto Playwaze by the players; this then can be viewed by all on the platform.
Matches will be self-officiated, with the players taking responsibility for controlling the game. The final decision on any disputes must be met as a mutual agreement between the two players and should be conducted in the spirit of fair play.
Any disputes or complaints in connection with a match need to be received in writing within 3 days of the match, addressed to the sport development team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
After the last week of the games, we will officially announce the winner of the York Squash League at the end of the season. The Winner will be awarded with the York Sport Squash Plaque, Medal and a free squash court pass.
For more information or any problems through the league please contact York Sport Development team via email on email@example.com.
This information can be found on our website at: York Sport/Leagues/Squash