Our York Sport Squash League takes place at the York Sport Centre and all matches are played in our indoor squash courts. The league offers the chance for squash players in North Yorkshire to meet and play against men and women of varying ages and standards. The Squash league is open to adults of all abilities aged 16+.
The York Sport Squash League runs throughout the year, and initially in one of the following divisions: Beginner, Intermediate or Advanced, subject to suitability of the players with views to introducing more levels of play in the future. Competitors will use Playwaze app to view the list of fixtures and will communicate via WhatsApp to discuss arrangements for the matches. Scores will be submitted on a weekly basis. Squash matches will be played for the duration of 10 – 15 weeks on a fixed day and time.
The next league starts:
21st April 2022
It costs only £3.60 per person per game to participate in the league including the regular court hire. The total amount payable is in full and in advance. For example, if there are 6 players per league, and everyone plays each other twice, it will costs £36 per person for the duration of 10 weeks .
Sign up is online and only if you have been instructed by our Sports Development team.
More detailed league information and rules can be found below.
• Access to our changing facilities
• Discounted rate on squash court bookings
• FREE onsite parking
• One VIP York Sport Village Pass
Contact us on email@example.com
Dedicated WhatsApp groups are used for day-to-day communication and Playwaze is used to record results. Players are required to download both platforms and use them purposefully and accordingly.
‘If you find sudden splurges of messages from time to time intrusive and/or you can’t respond pretty much instantly as needed then the Squash League is not for you!’
Fixtures will be pulled at random and shared on the Playwaze at the start of the season.
Registration, Entry and Fees
You need to sign up via online Wufoo form available from firstname.lastname@example.org or York Sport website.
It costs £3.60 per game to participate in the league for the duration of one season. Each player will play between 9-14 games per season.
The league will last for the duration of 10-15 weeks.
Ideally the players will play each other twice. Average number of players will be 6 with min 4 and maximum of 8 contestants per group. Subject to change depending on the final number.
Match Play Rules
- Playwaze will be used to setup fixtures and to record the results.
- Players are expected to strictly follow the order and schedule of games. These can only be changed in special circumstances and must be communicated with the administrator who will then authorize the modification. The administrator will not be held responsible for helping find a cover for the cancelled match, nor for rescheduling the game, these will have to be carried out by the players themselves.
- A WhatsApp group will be used to communicate results and to rearrange matches in case when the original games can’t be played.
- Home players (the first-named in the fixture list) provide the balls and report the result.
- As there is no mechanism that alerts other players of results entered into Playwaze please also report results to the relevant WhatsApp group at the same time as they are entered on Playwaze.
- The court bookings lasts 40 minutes.
- The Playwaze Leagues have been set up to award 3 points for a win and 1 point for a draw.
- Although Walkovers (of any sort) earn 0 points, this should never happen because:
- a. The original fixture will be reset to the last possible date and time in the round and the original players will play the game at a later date (but before the end of the round).
b. If the game is still unable to be played before the end of the round then the circumstances will be reported to the administrator who will then decide what result should be recorded.
- Matches will start as soon as both players are warmed up. The game should last for the duration of the court booking. Players are to finish the point they are playing and ensure they are off the court on the hour of their booking. If the final game cannot be completed then only the earlier games are reported. There are no tie-breaks or deciding match points.
- Matches will be self-officiated with the players taking responsibility for controlling the game. The final decision or any disputes must be met as a mutual agreement between the two players and should be conducted in the spirit of fair play.
- Any disputes or complaints in connection with a match need to be reported to the administrator within 24 hours. The administrator’s decision will be final.
- If a League is short of players then new players may join at any time and play fixtures that have been missed.
- You may play in as many Leagues as you wish as long as this is not excluding other players.
- There is no explicit promotion or demotion between Leagues though re-grouping of players may occur at any point of the leagues so that they are more evenly matched – this only applies when there are more levels of play.
- It is asked of you to fulfill all scheduled fixtures.
- The scoring of matches will follow basic squash rules, these can be found on the England Squash website. Matches will be best of 5 games to 9 points following traditional scoring rally. If the score is tied at 8-8, play the first to 10 points E.g. 10-8 or 10-9.
- Matches will start after the knock up (a maximum of three minutes). The match is won when the first person reaches three games. In the event of an unfinished match the number of whole games won is recorded. I.e. 2-1.
- However in the event of a 3-0 win lasting only a few minutes please be courteous enough to play out the 40 minuets light time.
- Points will be awarded for the following scores:
Game score Points 3-0 6 1 3-1 5 2 3-2 4 3 2-2 2 2 1-1 2 2
- York Sport will not provide any equipment. Players must provide their own racquets and bring squash balls to each match. Squash rackets can be hired from York Sport reception at a charge of £1.00 and squash balls can be purchased at £3.50.
- Results should be entered onto Playwaze by the players; this then can be viewed by all on the platform.
Matches will be self-officiated, with the players taking responsibility for controlling the game. The final decision on any disputes must be met as a mutual agreement between the two players and should be conducted in the spirit of fair play.
Any disputes or complaints in connection with a match need to be received in writing within 3 days of the match, addressed to the sport development team at email@example.com.
The winner of the York Squash League will be officially announced via email and Whatsapp at the end of the season. The Winner will be awarded with a personal Congratulation letter from York Sport, Medal and a free squash court pass; this will also be announced on our social media channels.
For more information or any problems through the league please contact York Sport Development team via email on firstname.lastname@example.org